- The Washington Times - Tuesday, January 27, 2015

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo issued a travel ban on residents in the face of Winter Storm Juno, which threatens to dump up to 3 feet in areas of the state.

Those who violate the ban could be fined $300, the Express reported.

“If you are in your car, and you are on any road, town, village, city, it doesn’t matter, after 11 o’clock, you will technically be committing a crime,” Mr. Cuomo said, the news outlet reported. “It could be a matter of life and death, so caution is required.”

Governors of other states due to be impacted by the threatening storm — and soon-to-follow flooding — have also cracked down on residential travels, issuing orders to keep the roads as free and clear as possible for plows to do their work and to keep citizens safe.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio issued an extra message for city dwellers, confirming the travel ban and saying: “This will most likely be one of the largest blizzards in the history of New York City,” the Express reported.

Up to 60 million Americans in several Northeastern states are due to be impacted by the massive storm, which is churning up the coast and predicted to hit hardest on Tuesday evening.

“We’re used to these big snowstorms in New England, but 2 to 3 feet all at once and 50 to 60 miles-per-hour winds? That’s a different story,” said Ben Shickel, a Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, resident, the Express reported.

So far, up to 7,500 flights have been canceled and delayed, hundreds of schools closed, and several major public transportation systems — including the New York City Subway — halted.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide