'Your papers, please' must never be heard in America
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
The U.S. military and the Afghan government reached a deal Wednesday on a gradual pullout of American special forces and their Afghan counterparts from a contentious eastern province, officials said.
A series of security problems and fractured relations with Afghan leaders plagued Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel's first trip here as Pentagon chief, including the Afghan president's accusations that the United States and the Taliban are working in concert to show that violence in the country will worsen if most coalition troops leave.
Militants staged two deadly suicide attacks Saturday to mark the first full day of U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel's visit to Afghanistan, a fresh reminder that insurgents continue to fight and challenges remain as the U.S.-led NATO force hands over the country's security to the Afghans.
The U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan has found no evidence so far to support Afghan allegations of misconduct by American special forces in a strategic eastern province, the alliance's spokesman said on Monday.
President Obama's decision to bring half of America's 66,000 troops home within a year was welcomed Wednesday by Afghan officials who long have agitated to control their country, but the announcement was greeted with dismay by Afghans who think America has failed to keep its promise of a better and safer life.
A suicide car bomber killed two Afghan civilians and wounded 14 others on Thursday near the main U.S. military base in southern Afghanistan, Afghan and American officials said. The attack took place after visiting U.S. Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta had left the facility.
Congolese soldiers took back control of this strategic city of 1 million on Monday, though the rebels who occupied it for two weeks continued to stake out positions less than two miles away, threatening to seize it anew if Congo fails to meet their demands.
A firefight broke out between U.S. forces and their Afghan army allies in eastern Afghanistan on Sunday, killing two Americans and three Afghan soldiers and pushing the number of U.S. troops killed in the long-running war 2,000.
A teenage suicide bomber blew himself up outside NATO headquarters in the Afghan capital on Saturday, killing at least six civilians in a strike that targeted the heart of the U.S.-led military operation in the country, officials said.
Afghan authorities have detained or removed hundreds of soldiers in an investigation into rising insider attacks against international service personnel who are their supposed partners in the fight against Taliban insurgents and other militants, officials said Wednesday.
U.S. and Afghan officials met Tuesday to negotiate rules for U.S. military activity in Afghanistan after foreign combat troops leave.
Afghanistan's government wants to control all special operations and night raids currently led by U.S. and NATO forces, but it will not demand that Americans involved in criminal activity be tried in Afghan courts.
Pentagon leaders scrambled Thursday to contain damage from an Internet video purporting to show four Marines urinating on Taliban corpses — an act that appears to violate international laws of warfare and put further strains U.S.-Afghan relations.
A gunman wearing an Afghan army uniform opened fire on coalition troops in western Afghanistan, military authorities said Monday. An official said several NATO troops were wounded in the shooting and the gunman was killed.
A Taliban suicide bomber rammed a van into an armored NATO bus Saturday, killing 13 American troops and four Afghans on a busy street in Kabul in the deadliest attack on coalition forces in more than two months and a major setback for the U.S.-led coalition as it begins to draw down combat troops.