- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
By James A. Lyons Jr.
The president has shifted alliance from friend to enemy
Topic - Chile
After Mexico dominated Croatia to advance, they get the tough task of facing the dominant Dutch in the Round of 16.
Neymar scored the winning penalty Saturday to give Brazil a 3-2 shootout win over Chile in the second round of the World Cup. The match had ended 1-1.
The hosts get ready for the knockout round with a high-profile clash against Chile.
Both teams had already advanced to the second round. The Dutch now travel to Fortaleza to play the Group A runner-up in the round of 16. Chile faces the Group A winner.
The World Cup should be an opportunity to emphasize that all persons, soccer players included, have worth because of their human dignity and not because of their physical condition, a Chilean bishop has said.
About 100 soccer fans have broken into the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro, trashing temporary walls and lockers before Chile was to play Spain.
Spain became the fifth holders to be eliminated from the World Cup at the first stage after their 2-0 defeat by Chile at the Maracana on Wednesday.
The result puts Netherlands into a strong position to advance to the last 16 with two wins, including the opening 5-1 rout of defending champion Spain. It almost surely puts Australia out of contention with two defeats.
Spain's second loss, after a 5-1 rout by the Netherlands, ended any hope of advancing. Chile and the Netherlands will both advance, regardless of who wins the game between them.
Can the Spanish rebound against Chile after being drubbed by the Dutch in their first game?
Alexis Sanchez — a potential star of the World Cup — poked home from close range in the 12th minute, before setting up Jorge Valdivia barely a minute later for the playmaker to finish from the edge of the area.
In a radical policy shift, the government of Chile will alter its human rights stance at the United Nations by abandoning the defense of life from the moment of conception and accepting the legalization of abortion in several circumstances.
Spain's bid to repeat as champion has the unenviable task of beginning in a World Cup group with the Netherlands, Chile and Australia.
Chile has assembled the best lineup it has ever taken to the World Cup, and has been placed in one of the toughest groups.
Jorge Sampaoli has steered Chile to the World Cup and achieved the seemingly impossible: making former coach Marcelo Bielsa's name recede in the collective public memory.