- The Washington Times - Tuesday, July 4, 2006

ASSOCIATED PRESS

The projected opening date of the U.S. Capitol Visitor Center has been pushed back again, from September to summer 2007, because of continued construction problems.

The $584 million project is already more than two years behind schedule and $200 million overbudget, but Architect of the Capitol Alan M. Hantman told a Senate subcommittee last week that problems with the fire protection system, gift shops and utility tunnel will cause more delays.

The new tentative time frame of next July appears to be reasonable, said officials with the Government Accountability Office.

The wall stone installation is well behind schedule, the fire alarm system has been redesigned several times, and the gift shop is overbudget, according to the GAO, which monitors the project’s progress.

The 580,000-square-foot underground center on the Capitol’s east side is the largest addition in the building’s history, increasing its size by two-thirds.

It will include an exhibition area twice as big as the Rotunda where visitors can see artifacts, documents and the catafalque that supported the caskets of people who have lain in state. There will be galleries where visitors can see live feeds of congressional business and use monitors to scan voting records as well as a 600-seat cafeteria.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide