- The Washington Times - Saturday, July 7, 2007

BOSTON (AP) — A prison security video showing guards struggling to enter a cell where a convicted killer was strangling a defrocked pedophile priest has turned up on the Internet.

State prison officials are investigating how the 10-minute video, shot from outside former Roman Catholic priest John Geoghan’s cell during his slaying, made it onto YouTube.

The video was posted last month and may have been brought to the Boston Herald’s attention by Joseph Druce, who was convicted in January of killing Geoghan at the Souza-Baranowski maximum security prison in August 2003.

“The truth about officer involvement in John Geogan’s [sic] death,” a handwritten note sent to the Herald and signed “Joseph Lee Druce” says.

The note gives a link to the video and the message “The truth about officers allowing J.G. to die through their neglect. Let the truth be know [sic].”

The video shows up to five guards at a time tugging at the door Druce had wedged shut with a book, while other guards stand ready to enter the cell.

About halfway through it, guards pry the door open, and several rush into the cell before emerging seconds later dragging someone out, presumably Druce, and pinning him to the floor. What appears to be medical personnel then rush into the cell. Viewers can neither see the slaying in progress nor Geoghan’s body.

Inmates do not have access to the Internet and state Department of Correction officials were investigating how Druce may have obtained it, department spokeswoman Diane Wiffin said.

“We have no idea where he got it from. We don’t know where the tape came from or how it got on the Internet,” Miss Wiffin told the Herald.

The president of the guards union said the state should “immediately use any legal remedy available” to get the video off the Web.

“We are deeply concerned that an internal security video was posted by an inmate or an inmate’s family,” said Steve Kenneway, president of the Massachusetts Correction Officers Federated Union. “It’s absolutely a public safety issue, posting emergency response actions of correction officers on the Web.”

Druce was already serving a life sentence for murder when he killed Geoghan.

Geoghan, 68, was serving a nine- to 10-year sentence for groping a 10-year-old boy, but had been accused of molesting as many as 150 boys. His case helped spark the clergy sex-abuse scandal worldwide after church personnel records released under court order revealed the Boston Archdiocese transferred Geoghan from parish to parish even after accusations of abuse surfaced.

Druce said he was chosen by God to kill pedophiles and unsuccessfully used an insanity defense at his trial.

In August 2005, the Herald obtained a video that showed Druce re-enacting the slaying in which he strangled Geoghan with a pair of socks. Druce then climbed on his cot and jumped off repeatedly to show how he crushed the convicted molester’s body.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide