- The Washington Times - Thursday, June 21, 2007


Female illegal alien rescued from well

TUCSON — U.S. Border Patrol agents yesterday rescued a woman, a Mexican national trying to enter the United States illegally, trapped in a well near Cowlic, Ariz., south of the Tohono O’Odham Indian Reservation.

Border Patrol spokesman Rob Daniels said four illegal aliens apprehended earlier in the day reported to agents that they left behind five persons in distress, and the Tucson sector’s Border Patrol Search Trauma and Rescue (BORSTAR) team was notified.

One member of the group, the female Mexican citizen, was found trapped in a well. After three hours, the woman was rescued, treated on scene by BORSTAR agents and emergency workers from Sells, Ariz., for dehydration and a mild allergic reaction to bee stings. She refused further medical treatment.


Stick shift foils theft of car

ATLANTA — Two would-be car thieves failed to make their getaway in a car because they couldn’t figure out how to use its manual transmission, a witness said yesterday.

The teenagers armed with a gun approached a man outside a pizza restaurant in Marietta, Ga., late Monday. They took his wallet and the keys to his Honda Accord, got into the car but couldn’t make it move because it had a stick shift, said John Williamson, 18, a restaurant employee.

“The kid was just sitting in the car trying to start it, but he had no idea what to do. He looked dumbfounded. The only thing he had going was the radio,” said Mr. Williamson who witnessed the crime.

While the suspect was trying to start the car, restaurant employees called the police, who caught the teenagers as they tried to escape into nearby woods.


Pet rat, four cats revived after fire

POCATELLO — Firefighters resuscitated four cats and an albino rat from a charred apartment in southeastern Idaho.

The animals received oxygen through a special mask designed for small animals that the department got two years ago.

Electrical failure likely caused the fire, which resulted in at least $10,000 in damage, fire officials said. No people were injured.

Firefighter Kirby Jonas, who whisked the rat to safety, said he was astonished that anything survived the flames that engulfed the apartment. He found the rat huddled in blackened bedding in a cage. Also in the room was a poster of an albino rat with a halo over its head, he said.

One cat didn’t survive the blaze.


Vatican reverses Kennedy annulment

BOSTON — The Vatican reversed the annulment of former Rep. Joseph P. Kennedy II’s first marriage, a union that had lasted 12 years and produced two sons.

Sheila Rauch yesterday confirmed a report on Time magazine’s Web site that her appeal of the annulment to Rome has succeeded.

“I’m very grateful that the marriage was validated,” she told the Associated Press.

She had sharply criticized the Catholic Church for annulling her marriage, saying in a 1997 book that the Kennedy family’s influence in the church had made it possible.

Mrs. Rauch and Mr. Kennedy, the eldest son of the late Sen. Robert F. Kennedy, were granted a civil divorce in 1991.

She said she found out about the annulment only after Mr. Kennedy married his former congressional aide, Beth Kelly, in a civil ceremony two years later.


Boss donates kidney to office assistant

MORGANTON — When doctors told Lisa White that she needed a kidney transplant to stay alive, she never expected her boss to sign up as a donor.

Chris Jernigan, the director of Southmountain Children and Family Services in Nebo, said he had watched Miss White, his friend and colleague of more than 11 years, struggle to come into work.

The decision to donate a kidney to his office assistant was easy, he said. The surgery went well, and Miss White was back at work yesterday.

Miss White has polycystic kidney disease — a potentially deadly, genetic disease that causes cysts to form on the kidneys. She hopes her boss’ generosity will inspire others to donate organs.


Russian teen dies after free surgery

TULSA — A Russian teen who traveled halfway around the world so American doctors could remove a brain-stem tumor, only to have the risky surgery leave him comatose, died yesterday morning, his family said.

David Kurbanov, 16, came to St. Anthony Hospital in Oklahoma City last year with his father after surgeon Paul Francel agreed to perform the surgery on the boy for free. An American missionary living in Russia helped organize it.

Kelly Bishop, the family’s attorney, said he has requested an autopsy on David and could not say whether his client would sue.

“I did everything that could possibly be done, and so did the team there,” Dr. Francel said yesterday.


Fire guts warehouse; 100 evacuated

PHILADELPHIA — Fire swept through an abandoned warehouse early yesterday, collapsing the roof and forcing about 100 residents to evacuate nearby homes, authorities said.

Eight other properties and two parked cars caught fire. About 170 firefighters fought the blaze in the city’s Kensington section, Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers said.

Firefighters rescued a man from the second floor of the building, Mr. Ayers said.


Crowd kills passenger after car strikes child

AUSTIN — An angry crowd beat a man to death after a vehicle he was riding in struck and injured a young girl, police said yesterday.

Police estimate that 2,000 to 3,000 people were in the area for a Juneteenth — a celebration that commemorates the end of slavery in the nation — when the attack occurred Tuesday night.

The driver had stopped to check on the little girl at the entrance to an apartment complex when a group of men attacked him, authorities said. The passenger, David Rivas Morales, 40, got out to try to help the driver, but the crowd turned on him, said police Commander Harold Piatt. Mr. Morales was beaten to death by as many as 20 men and left lying in a parking lot, Cmdr. Piatt said.

The girl, 3 or 4 years old, was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

The driver, who got away from the crowd, is cooperating with investigators, police said.


Mom admits taping pacifier to baby

LAKE STEVENS — A woman was charged with manslaughter in the death of her 4-month-old son after she told authorities that she taped a pacifier to his mouth to keep it from falling out.

Bonnie M. Desmond, 19, was charged Tuesday in the death of Noah James Petersen. Bail was set at $500,000.

Noah’s mother called 911 Monday and said her baby was unconscious, but paramedics said the boy had been dead for hours, Fire District 8 Deputy Chief David Lingenfelter said. Prosecutors wrote in reports that she later indicated that a pacifier had been taped to the child’s mouth but she had removed it before calling authorities.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide