- The Washington Times - Friday, January 2, 2009

An 11-year-old boy critically injured in a New Year’s Day house fire has died of his injuries.

Oscar Wilson III is the sixth fatality stemming from the fire in the 1000 block of Jackson Street Northeast. The boy had been taken to Children’s National Medical Center Thursday and was reportedly in grave condition.

Hospital spokeswoman Paula Darte confirmed that Oscar died at 1:30 p.m. D.C. fire department spokesman Alan Etter said the boy suffered from “devastating” smoke inhalation injuries and had been on life support.

The other victims killed in the blaze were identified as Joseph Wilson, 10; Kaniya Gant, 4; Kaniya’s mother and father, Tawanna Gant, 22, and Keith Nelson, 23; and Charles Smith, 72.

Officials on Friday also confirmed that the fire was caused by an accidental electrical failure in the home.

Related story: Boy in grave condition after D.C. fire

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide