- The Washington Times - Wednesday, October 14, 2009

U.S. national team forward Charlie Davies was injured in a one-car crash on the George Washington Memorial Parkway that killed another person early Tuesday.

Davies is in serious but stable condition at Washington Hospital Center after suffering a lacerated bladder and fractures to the tibia and femur bones in his right leg. He also suffered facial fractures and a left elbow fracture.

The vehicle was traveling southbound on the parkway when the crash occurred around 3:15 a.m. near the Memorial Bridge. Three people were in the vehicle. The fatality was identified as Ashley J. Roberta, 22, of Phoenix, Md., according to the Associated Press. Neither Davies nor Roberta was operating the vehicle.

According to the U.S. Soccer Federation, Davies was air-lifted to the hospital, where doctors performed more than five hours of surgery. They first repaired the ruptured bladder and then inserted titanium rods in the tibia and femur with no complications.

Davies will be hospitalized for at least a week, and additional surgery will be required to stabilize his left elbow fracture and possibly the facial fractures.

“Injuries of this nature usually require a recovery period of six to 12 months and extensive rehabilitation,” said U.S. Soccer physician Dr. Dan Kalbac, who collaborated with the treating doctors. “Due to Charlie’s fitness level, his prognosis for recovery and his ability to resume high-level competition is substantially improved.”

Team officials received word of Davies’ accident as he was going into surgery around 11 a.m. Coach Bob Bradley informed the players of the accident before a mandatory team lunch at the Ritz Carlton in Arlington, where the squad is staying ahead of Wednesday’s final World Cup qualifying match against Costa Rica at RFK Stadium.

“Obviously, as a team we were saddened to learn this news,” Bradley said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with Charlie and his family, as well as the other person in the car and the families of the others involved. … We are relying on each other in a moment that has for sure hit us all hard.”

The Associated Press reported Davies was in violation of the team’s curfew. Davies’ parents arrived in the D.C. area Tuesday evening.

A native of Manchester, N.H., Davies turned pro in 2006 after playing college soccer at Boston College. The 23-year-old plays for French club Sochaux. He has four goals in 17 appearances with the U.S. national team and was a member of the Olympic team in Beijing.

Davies’ teammates were not made available for comment Tuesday.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide