- The Washington Times - Monday, April 22, 2013

An anti-terror court in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, sentenced three Saudis to six years in jail over a plot to kill seven Americans who were in the kingdom between 2003 and 2006.

Al Qaeda was responsible for carrying out several attacks in Saudi Arabia, and in surrounding areas, during that time frame.

Agence France-Presse reported that two others in the case, which was heard late Sunday, were acquitted.

The court said the convicted men were guilty of “support[ing] the actions of the deviant group and planned the assassination of seven Americans in the kingdom,” AFP reported. Moreover, the men were then going to enter Iraq “to carry out terrorist acts” there, the court said.

Since July 2011, Saudi courts have cracked down on al Qaeda suspects. An estimated 3,000 have been either tried or scheduled for trial since then, AFP reported.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide