- Associated Press - Tuesday, February 11, 2014

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) - A southwest Missouri man has died of injuries he suffered in a January house fire started by a child playing with a lighter.

The Springfield Fire Department says 31-year-old Derrick Pelliccio died Tuesday at Mercy Hospital. Another resident of the house, 28-year-old Rachel Purcell, was also badly burned in the Jan. 16 fire and remains hospitalized.

Springfield investigators said the two adults were asleep in a bedroom when a child set the bedding on fire with a long-stemmed butane lighter.

One other adult escaped unharmed from the small, one-story house along with three children, ages 1, 2 and 5.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide