- Associated Press - Friday, February 7, 2014

DEKALB, Ill. (AP) - A consultant says dozens of people at a northern Illinois school became sick from a trash odor, not carbon monoxide.

The (DeKalb) Daily Chronicle reports (https://bit.ly/1l6ocu5 ) that assessment comes from Geoff Bacci, an industrial hygienist hired to review the Jan. 14 incident at Cortland Elementary School. More than 70 people to need medical treatment after they complained of dizziness and other symptoms.

The students, teachers and staff were all treated for low levels of carbon monoxide exposure, but Bacci says they became ill from the odor released by a nearby landfill.

The fumes got into the school’s ventilation system after being released when a contractor dug into a section of decomposing garbage.

A DeKalb County judge ordered the landfill to take steps to ensure similar leaks don’t happen again.

___

Information from: The Daily Chronicle, https://www.daily-chronicle.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide