- Associated Press - Wednesday, January 15, 2014

CORTLAND, Ill. (AP) - Classes are expected to resume at a northern Illinois elementary school after more than 60 students, teachers and staff were treated at a hospital when they became overcome by a sour odor from a nearby landfill.

The (DeKalb) Daily Chronicle reports (https://bit.ly/1fxrOGu ) the incident at Cortland Elementary School was reported Tuesday morning. The 530-student school is about three miles from DeKalb.

Authorities say the smell likely came from the landfill when a contractor tapped a pocket of decomposing trash. Officials haven’t determined what gas was released, but doctors say the 63 people taken to Kishwaukee Hospital were treated for low levels of carbon monoxide exposure.

Environmental regulators are expected to visit the landfill later this week.

Superintendent James Briscoe says employees opened the school’s doors to air out the building.

___

Information from: The Daily Chronicle, https://www.daily-chronicle.com

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide