- Associated Press - Friday, March 17, 2017

HOUSTON (AP) - The Houston boarding house where a fire killed two occupants and injured a third was operating without a city permit.

The Houston Chronicle (https://bit.ly/2n7EFrG) reports Briscoe’s Place was an unregulated rooming house with about 20 windowless bedrooms rented to the down-and-out.

The newspaper reports the building had received a city permit to operate as a banquet hall but not as a residential building. City officials say they denied a Fire Prevention Permit for a boarding house.

A fire official described the building as a “maze” to navigate.

Firefighters encountered heavy smoke when they arrived early Thursday morning at the home, which is part of a dilapidated plaza south of downtown.


Information from: Houston Chronicle, https://www.houstonchronicle.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide