- Associated Press - Wednesday, June 13, 2018

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) - The city of Cedar Rapids says a man who lit a firework lost parts of several fingers after the device exploded while he was holding it.

Officials said Wednesday in a news release that the incident happened Tuesday evening, severely damaging one of the 19-year-old man’s hands.

Officials reminded the public that use of fireworks within city limits is banned.

The Cedar Rapids Fire Department says it responded last year to 13 fire incidents involving fireworks, including three building fires. Hospitals in the area treated 21 patients last year for fireworks injuries.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide