- The Washington Times - Wednesday, April 1, 2026

A version of this story appeared in the daily Threat Status newsletter from The Washington Times. Click here to receive Threat Status delivered directly to your inbox each weekday.

The Pentagon’s relationship with the rest of Washington has, to put it mildly, become complicated.

With severe restrictions on media access and limits on how military officials can communicate with Congress, the Defense Department under Secretary Pete Hegseth has upended the Pentagon’s traditional interactions with other established institutions in the nation’s capital.

Think tanks, top-level academic institutions and even some leading defense contractors have been caught up in the Trump administration’s overhaul of who should have access to the Pentagon grounds, how the military conducts business, how it educates its officers and how its officials interact with civil society.



Whether those changes outlast the Trump administration is an open question that could hinge largely on the outcome of the 2028 presidential election. Analysts generally agree that a Democratic administration, or one led by a more moderate Republican president and defense secretary, could reverse many of the most restrictive policies implemented over the past 15 months, especially those limiting reporters’ access to the Pentagon itself.

“Is it irreparable? No, I don’t think so, because I think these are professionals. The press system will be reinstated and reinstituted under anything but a Trump continuation presidency,” said retired Rear Adm. Mark Montgomery, former policy director for the Senate Armed Services Committee and now a senior fellow at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, a Washington think tank.

“Think tanks, I hate to say it, we don’t matter. The press and Congress matter,” Mr. Montgomery told the Threat Status weekly podcast on an episode to be released Friday. “That’s the oversight that the American citizens deserve, and the Congress will reassert itself.”

Key Republicans on Capitol Hill pushed back publicly and privately after a Pentagon memo in October outlined a policy shift that would funnel most military communications with Congress through the Office of Legislative Affairs under Mr. Hegseth.

On the surface, there does not appear to have been any immediate change to Congress’ ability to obtain information from the Pentagon. Military officials have routinely testified before House and Senate committees over the past five months, and those committees have maintained open lines of communication with the Defense Department.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Still, the shift underscored a much broader philosophical change. The Trump administration’s Pentagon doesn’t seem to believe it should do business with other Washington institutions in the same way it did in past decades.

For example, a separate Defense Department memo last year established a policy of “thorough vetting” of think tank forums — the kinds of Washington staples routinely hosted by the Brookings Institution, the Atlantic Council, The Heritage Foundation and dozens of other organizations — before granting military officials permission to attend or speak at those events. That change shifted some decision-making power away from military services and other Defense Department offices regarding whether key military leaders or civilian Pentagon officials could appear at a think tank event.

Top officials have attended some of those events since then, but the change has highlighted the administration’s apparent view that some long-standing institutions should be viewed skeptically, rather than necessarily as partners in the Washington ecosystem.

In late February, another Defense Department memo eliminated nearly two dozen “senior service college fellowship programs” affiliated with top universities such as Harvard, Yale, Columbia and Georgetown, and also with think tanks known for their research in defense and foreign policy matters, such as the Center for Strategic and International Studies, the Brookings Institution, the Atlantic Council and others.

In the memo, the Pentagon said it needed to revise its Senior Service College fellowships to ensure future military leaders receive the right kinds of education.

Advertisement
Advertisement

“This decisive change will ensure our leaders receive a more rigorous and relevant education to better prepare them for the complexities of modern warfare and return our force to the original purpose of SSCs: the preparation of senior officers to be critical thinkers that can plan and integrate multi-domain, joint operations at echelon and serve (and think) at the strategic level,” the memo reads in part.

Pentagon versus the press

The most glaring change has been the Defense Department’s relationship with the press corps. Most reporters’ access to the Pentagon has been dramatically reduced at a time when U.S. forces are engaged in multiple conflicts around the world, including the ongoing war in Iran.

The restrictions on press access, the subject of an unfolding legal battle, could be rolled back by the next administration, though specialists caution that it is far from a guarantee.

Advertisement
Advertisement

“There’s nothing that can’t be changed, that can’t be rolled back if you want to roll it back. There’s nothing set in law,” said Jim Townsend, a deputy assistant secretary of defense for European and NATO policy during the Obama administration and now a senior fellow at the Center for a New American Security.

Mr. Townsend said it’s possible “it won’t go back to exactly the way it was.” Part of the reason could be physical changes within the Pentagon itself.

Last month, the administration announced it would close the “correspondents’ corridor” workspace that for years has been used by reporters covering the military.

The policy was established just days after a federal judge struck down the administration’s broad limits on press access to the complex. Those limits established a system in which reporters could receive press credentials — known as a “hard pass” that granted regular, unescorted access to the Pentagon — only if they pledged not to solicit and publish information not approved for release by the government.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Nearly all news outlets, including The Washington Times, refused to sign the policy and lost their credentials.

With that policy now invalidated by a federal court — the Defense Department is appealing — credentialed reporters were expected to regain access to the Pentagon. The administration said it will instead close the dedicated press workspace in the Pentagon for security reasons and move reporters elsewhere on the Pentagon’s grounds.

The space formerly used as the correspondents’ corridor could be repurposed and its dozens of desks and offices given to Defense Department employees, which would seemingly make it difficult to ever restore press access in exactly the same way.

Contact the author

Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Story Topics

Please read our comment policy before commenting.