The FBI is closing in on ex-Rep. Eric Swalwell, who is under two separate criminal investigations involving sex assault allegations that forced him out of politics earlier this year.
Agents confronted Mr. Swalwell as he got off a plane at San Francisco International Airport on Saturday and seized his cell phone. The next day, the FBI searched his D.C. home.
The FBI raid on Mr. Swalwell came as the White House released newly declassified records in which Mr. Swalwell, a former member of the House Intelligence Committee, admitted to FBI agents he had sex with Chinese intelligence operative Christine Fang, otherwise known as “Fang Fang.” The encounters took place as late as 2015, two years after Mr, Swalwell joined Congress. Mr. Swalwell was kicked off the Intelligence Committee in 2023 over his relationship with Ms. Fang.
The Justice Department began investigating sexual assault allegations against Mr. Swalwell in April.
That’s when he resigned from Congress and quit his run for California governor amid bombshell accusations from multiple women who accused him of sexual misconduct and assault, including rape.
Mr. Swalwell, a fierce critic of President Trump, was a prominent player in the Democratic Party and was seen as the likely victor in the governor’s race before the sexual misconduct allegations ended his political career.
SEE ALSO: From Fang Fang to Trump dossier, Eric Swalwell weighs in on sex trap spycraft
At least four women accused him of sexual misconduct or sexual assault.
Mr. Swalwell, a married father of three, was accused of sexually assaulting a former staffer twice when she was too intoxicated to consent. The first incident was in 2019. CNN reported that three other women said he had engaged in nonconsensual sex or sent inappropriate messages, including nude photos.
Adam Parkhomenko said his wife, Ally Sammarco, went on the record “so that hopefully this did not happen to other women and maybe it would help other women come forward.” Mr. Parkhomenko said his wife provided CNN with messages Mr. Swalwell had sent her.
Mr. Swalwell apologized to his family, staff and supporters for “mistakes in judgment” but called the allegations of sexual assault “false.”
In addition to the FBI probe, the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office launched an investigation into a sexual assault allegation by a former staffer who said that after getting drunk with Mr. Swalwell, she woke up to him raping her in his New York City hotel room.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.