Maryland’s depth chart is littered with tweaks coming out of its bye week.
Most notably: The offensive line looks different. And younger.
The Terrapins list true freshman Mike Madaras as the starter at left tackle over Nick Klemm, while redshirt freshman Andrew Zeller is now the starter at right guard over De’Onte Arnett.
Madaras would become only the fifth true freshman offensive lineman to draw a start for Maryland since 2001. The others: Stephon Heyer (2002), Jared Gaither (2005), Bruce Campbell (2007) and Bennett Fulper (2009). Klemm has started the first four games this season for the Terps (2-2), though Madaras has appeared in every game.
Zeller made his debut in the second half of a Sept. 22 loss at West Virginia. Arnett has made five consecutive starts for Maryland.
Pass protection was an issue in September for Maryland. Quarterback Perry Hills was sacked 16 times in his first four starts.
Among other depth chart changes …
* Devin Burns, who came in for a play at West Virginia, is listed as the sole backup at quarterback. Caleb Rowe is no longer listed.
Ultimately, it makes sense for Maryland to try and redshirt Rowe if at all possible. That might not be possible, but if Hills can remain healthy and functional in the offense well into the second half of the season, it will be easier to keep Rowe’s redshirt intact.
* Freshman Stefon Diggs is listed as a starter ahead of Kerry Boykins, who missed the West Virginia game with injury. Boykins’ status is unknown for Saturday’s date with Wake Forest.
* Junior Justin Anderson replaced freshman Quinton Jefferson as Joe Vellano’s backup at defensive end.
* Keith Bowers is joined by Isaiah Ross as a co-backup to A.J. Francis at the other end spot.
* Alex Twine and Kenneth Tate are listed as co-starters at the strong side linebacker spot. Tate received the majority of the reps at that spot (54 snaps) against West Virginia in his first game back from a knee injury.
* A.J. Hendy, who missed the first four games while recovering from an ankle injury, is listed as a co-backup with Sean Davis to starting safety Matt Robinson.
* Redshirt freshman Makinton Dorleant has jumped ahead of freshman Alvin Hill as Dexter McDougle’s backup at cornerback.
* Brandon Ross is listed as the No. 2 kickoff returner behind Diggs, replacing Levern Jacobs.