- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
College World Series Preview Capsules
Last CWS appearance: 2009.
All-time record in CWS: 14-17 (ninth appearance).
Meet The Tar Heels: C Jacob Stallings (.287, 1, 38), 1B Jesse Wierzbicki (.298, 7, 40), 2B Tommy Coyle (.318, 2, 36, 18 SBs), SS Levi Michael (.300, 5, 48), 3B Colin Moran (.335, 9, 69), LF Chaz Frank (.278, 0, 35), CF Ben Bunting (.278, 1, 38, 17 SBs), RF Seth Baldwin (.248, 5, 26), DH Brian Holberton (.253, 1, 15). Starting Pitchers: RHP Patrick Johnson (13-1, 2.27), LHP Kent Emanuel (8-1, 2.55), RHP Chris Munnelly (6-5, 4.11). Relievers: RHP Michael Morin (4-2, 4.71, 10 saves), LHP Tate Parrish (0-0, 2.35), RHP Andrew Smith (3-1, 2.77), RHP Shane Taylor (2-3, 3.00), RHP-DH Greg Holt (7-1, 3.65, 2 saves; .403, 3, 23), LHP R.C. Orlan (2-0, 3.77).
All-Star Alumni: B.J. Surhoff, Walt Weiss, George “Snuffy” Stirnweiss, Chris Iannetta, Archibald “Moonlight” Graham, Russ Adams, Daniel Bard, Scott Bankhead, Scott Bradley, Clyde King, Andrew Miller, Paul Shuey.
Short Hops: Tar Heels have made it to College World Series for fifth time in six seasons _ 13th team in NCAA history to accomplish feat. … Fox, who has been part of all 14 wins by school in CWS, is one of just six to reach Omaha as player and then guide alma mater back as head coach, joining Mike Gillespie (Southern California), George Horton (Cal State Fullerton), Jack Kaiser (St. John’s), Mark Marquess (Stanford) and Joe Russo (St. John’s). … North Carolina has 2.00 ERA during NCAA tournament, has outscored opponents 39-10 and enters CWS with school-record fielding percentage of .979. … Johnson has won six straight, and has 0.60 ERA in last 45 innings. Had shutout streak of 30 2-3 IP snapped vs. Stanford in super regionals. Could become just second Tar Heels pitcher to win 14 games, joining Greg Norris (1978). … Emanuel is Tar Heels’ first freshman with eight wins since Daniel Bard and Robert Woodard in 2006. … Stallings is son of Kevin Stallings, men’s basketball coach at Vanderbilt. … Moran, ACC freshman of year, is nephew of Surhoff, former Tar Heels star and major league All-Star. Brother, Brian, was also All-American at North Carolina and plays in Seattle organization.
Quotable: “I’ve kind of known. … I told them three or four weeks ago that I felt that deep down inside that we were going to go back, and they did it. What a great credit to them.” _ Fox, after Tar Heels clinched fifth trip to Omaha in six years by beating Stanford.
SOUTH CAROLINA (50-14)
CWS Seed: 4.
Coach: Ray Tanner (684-296, 15th season).
Road To Omaha: Won Columbia Regional: beat Georgia Southern 2-1, beat Stetson 11-5, beat Stetson 8-2. Won Columbia Super Regional: beat Connecticut 5-1, beat Connecticut 8-2.
2011 record vs. CWS teams: 4-3 (2-1 vs. Florida, 2-2 Vanderbilt).
Last CWS appearance: 2010 (national champions).
All-time record in CWS: 23-17 (10th appearance).
Meet The Gamecocks: C Robert Beary (.292, 3, 35) or Brady Thomas (.311, 4, 39), 1B Christian Walker (.359, 10, 60), 2B Scott Wingo (.338, 4, 27), SS Peter Mooney (.277, 3, 34), 3B Adrian Morales (.286, 3, 38), LF Steven Neff (.254, 5, 7) or Jake Williams (.279, 2, 38), CF Evan Marzilli (.299, 3, 30), RF Williams or Beary, DH Thomas. Starting Pitchers: LHP Michael Roth (13-3, 1.02), RHP Colby Holmes (7-3, 3.78), RHP Forrest Koumas (6-1, 3.07). Relief Pitchers: RHP Matt Price (5-3, 2.25, 17 saves), RHP John Taylor (6-1, 1.27), RHP Patrick Sullivan (2-0, 1.35, 1 save), RHP Jose Mata (3-0, 1.76, 1 save), LHP Tyler Webb (3-1, 3.21), LHP Bryan Harper (1-0, 5.40, 1 save), LHP Steven Neff (3-1, 2.45).
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
- Otter attacks, kills alligator at Florida wildlife refuge
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Senate rejects Gillibrand's overhaul of military's handling of sexual assaults
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again