- Nancy Pelosi: Congress worked together when Bush was president
- ‘Slender Man’ stabbing victim receives Purple Heart from anonymous veteran
- Kentucky city called socialist for buying gas station, undercutting competitor fuel prices
- Israel hits five mosques, sports complex in overnight Gaza strikes
- Hillary Clinton dogged for refusing reporters’ questions on book tour
- EPA tweet baffles: ‘I’m now a C-List celebrity in Kim Kardashian: Hollywood’ iPhone game
- Australian P.M. Abbott: MH17 evidence tampered with on ‘industrial scale’
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez tells Hispanics to vote and ‘punish those’ who oppose amnesty
- Country singer Tim McGraw not sorry for slapping female fan: ‘Things happen’
- Iraq vet cited for owning 14 therapeutic pet ducks
College World Series Preview Capsules
Question of the Day
CWS Seed: 6.
Coach: Tim Corbin (374-187, ninth season).
Road To Omaha: Won Nashville Regional: beat Belmont 10-0, beat Troy 10-2, beat Belmont 6-1. Won Nashville Super Regional: beat Oregon State 11-1, beat Oregon State 9-3.
2011 record vs. CWS teams: 3-5 (1-3 vs. Florida, 2-2 vs. South Carolina).
Last CWS appearance: First appearance.
All-time record in CWS: First appearance.
Meet The Commodores: C Curt Casali (.306, 6, 51), 1B Aaron Westlake (.353, 17, 54), 2B Riley Reynolds (.346, 0, 18), SS Anthony Gomez (.343, 0, 45), 3B Jason Esposito (.357, 9, 59, 15 SBs), LF Tony Kemp (.325, 0, 32, 16 SBs), CF Connor Harrell (.281, 7, 30), RF Mike Yastrzemski (.300, 3, 42, 22 SBs), DH Conrad Gregor (.350, 3, 30). Starting Pitchers: LHP Grayson Garvin (13-1, 2.36), RHP Sonny Gray (12-3, 1.97), RHP Taylor Hill (5-1, 2.84). Relievers: RHP Navery Moore (4-2, 1.21, 11 saves), RHP Will Clinard (2-2, 3.03, 3 saves), LHP Kevin Ziomek (3-0, 1.61, 1 save), RHP Mark Lamm (5-0, 2.03, 1 save), LHP Corey Williams (1-0, 5.23, 2 saves).
All-Star Alumni: David Price, Pedro Alvarez, Joey Cora, Scott Sanderson, Rip Sewell, Harvey Hendrick, Jeremy Sowers.
Short Hops: Commodores making first trip to Omaha and have outscored opponents in NCAA tournament 46-6. Contributions have come throughout lineup with six players hitting .316 or better in postseason. … Westlake became first Commodore to belt three HRs in one game since 1991, accomplishing feat in super regionals-clinching victory over Oregon State. … Yastrzemski is grandson of Red Sox Hall of Famer Carl Yastrzemski. … Commodores rank third in Division I with 2.38 ERA entering CWS. … Gray, 18th overall draft pick by Oakland, has been Friday starter for past two years and is second on school’s career list with 27 wins. Set to start Commodores’ first CWS game Saturday against North Carolina. … Garvin was SEC pitcher of year after becoming first to go 10-0 in conference play. Set school record for wins in a season with 13. … Esposito, second-round pick by Baltimore, is only Commodore to have played in every game last two seasons. … Bullpen will be without RHP T.J. Pecoraro (7-0, 1.59), who suffered season-ending elbow injury during SEC tournament.
Quotable: “They are a very confident group. I told them they walk on water, but they understand there are rocks underneath the water holding them up so they have a strong sense of humility, too.” _ Corbin, after Commodores clinched first trip to Omaha.
CWS Seed: 7.
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Hillary Clinton dogged for refusing reporters' questions on book tour
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- Edward Snowden to work with Russia on anti-spy technology
- U.S. scrambles as violence escalates in Israel-Hamas conflict
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- Rep. Jared Polis' anti-fracking crusade riles Colorado
- EDITORIAL: Snipers from the left target Hillary
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq