- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Norfolk police revise training after recruit death
NORFOLK, Va. (AP) — Training procedures at the Norfolk Police Department's police academy are being revised after a recruit collapsed during training and later died.
The Virginian-Pilot reports that acting Police Chief Sharon Chamberlin announced the changes Tuesday.
Chamberlin says instructors will no longer strike recruits in the head.
Police officials also are working to raise awareness of head trauma.
Medical professionals are training instructors how to recognize head trauma. Recruits in future academies will receive such training, along with instruction on the importance of reporting head trauma, whether it involves themselves or another recruit.
Forty-year-old recruit John Kohn collapsed during self-defense training on Dec. 9 and died in a hospital Dec. 18. Police have said Kohn had received punches to the head from an instructor before and after colliding with another recruit.
Information from: The Virginian-Pilot, http://pilotonline.com
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.