- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
MAINWARING: ‘Occupy’ loses ground
Movement attempted to supplant the Tea Party
Question of the Day
Headlines keep blaring the unimaginable success of this “movement,” which liberals say has captured the imagination and hearts of the American people. Ms. vanden Heuvel, in “ProgressivesnowonthemarchtotakeoverCongress” (The Washington Post, Nov. 15) suggests, “Occupy … has transformed the landscape of politics. Wisconsin lit the spark. … Occupy Wall Street has turned that spark into a conflagration that swept the nation.” The conflagration has flamed out - for now.
The October surprise wasn’t much of a surprise, other than the American public’s astonishment at the violence and endless immoral behavior in Occupy encampments.
From the start, the movement has been about liberals attempting to capture control of the Democratic Party and supplant the Tea Party as the voice of Main Street America.
However, the images and message from Occupy Wall Street are foreign, if not grossly un-American, to Main Street. If liberals were attempting to “take back the American dream,” so far they have succeeded only in portraying the American nightmare.
What’s next? Probably a move this winter to take Occupy sentiment to college campuses in a big way.
Doug Mainwaring is a co-founder of the National Capital Tea Party Patriots.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
Get Breaking Alerts
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- Colorado poll shows women tuning out Democrats' 'war on women' strategy