- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Military Bowl: San Jose State takes to air to beat Bowling Green
Fales throws for bowl-record 395 yards
Still, the perfect finish was far from assured. After MacIntyre, the architect of San Jose State’s resurrection from one of the nation’s worst programs, departed for Colorado on Dec. 10, it was uncertain just how the Spartans would cope.
A day later, Baer stepped into a team meeting saying the change didn’t matter and the Spartans still had something they had set out accomplish.
“Just saying that, it stopped all the thoughts of Coach Mac being gone,” Johnson said.
And with Thursday’s victory secure, so is the title of San Jose State’s best team in the modern era — thoughts that won’t leave this Spartans team anytime soon.
“What people don’t talk about is we’ve won 13 of our last 15,” said Baer, the Spartans’ defensive coordinator the last three years who will join MacIntyre at Colorado in the same role. “That’s a lot of wins in 15 games. It’s just an unbelievable feeling. Any time you get 10 wins is magical. To get 11 is tremendous.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Patrick Stevens has covered Maryland and other Mid-Atlantic college sports for more than a decade. You can reach him at email@example.com.
- George Mason's defense dissipates in 84-74 loss to Northeastern
- Maryland's Pe'Shon Howard willing to let others put ball in the basket
- At 7-5, George Mason looks on the bright side entering CAA play
- Terps beat IUPUI, set for ACC after final tuneup
- Maryland's Jake Layman shows signs of progress in freshman season
Latest Blog Entries
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Study: Children fare better in traditional mom-dad families
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.