- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Redskins’ D.J. Johnson, Richard Crawford have chance to prove their worth
Griffin is out for four games
Washington is one of only five NFL teams to start the same five offensive linemen in every game, according to ESPN.
The line languished last season with first-string left tackle Trent Williams, left guard Kory Lichtensteiger and right tackle Jammal Brown out of the lineup. The performance drop-off helped to cripple the offense as a whole. This season, as quarterback Robert Griffin III and a new cast of playmakers fuel the league’s top-ranked offense in yards-per-play, the value of Washington’s healthy offensive line can’t be overstated.
“You can’t just have six or seven; you have to have 11 guys,” coach Mike Shanahan said. “It is coordination of our offensive line. It is a group of five guys working together, including the tight end the majority of the time, to dictate that running game or that play-action game. When everybody is hitting on all cylinders, then you have a chance to move the football. But if you have one or two missing pieces, it is really hard to be in the elite status week in and week out.”
Compton, who has practiced at left and right tackle, is behind veterans Jordan Black and Maurice Hurt on the depth chart, so it’s unlikely he’ll play offense this season. He might not even make the active roster on game days. But he believes he’s much more capable of playing well now than he was at the end of the preseason.
In preseason games, Compton sometimes had difficultly blocking pass rushers that changed direction during their rush. For example, he would struggle to recover when rushers set him up outside and made a hard move back inside. He has spent the past three months working on those deficiencies.
“It was making sure that I was working on all the different types of protections, working on my footwork on every type of play, just sharpening it up because there was clearly a lot of work to be done from the start,” he said. “Proper footwork, hand placement, knowing where to go on every play. I feel like I’ve come a long way for that.”
Inside linebacker London Fletcher (sprained left ankle) did not practice Thursday. Left tackle Trent Williams (bruised left thigh) and cornerback DeAngelo Hall (sprained right ankle) were limited. Shanahan has said he expects all three to play Sunday against Baltimore.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
Latest Blog Entries
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Former Blue Angels commander relieved of duty for alleged misconduct
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.