- Florida cops ticket toddler in toy convertible: report
- Kerry warns of ‘very serious’ response to Crimea-Russia alliance
- Fla. Rep. Alan Grayson’s wife drops restraining order against him
- McDonald’s lawsuits filed over wages ‘stolen’ like Hamburglar steals Big Macs
- HUMPHRIES: Fight like a Democrat – An open letter to Sen. Mitch McConnell
- Florida board member shocks with ‘Heil Hitler’ salute at town meeting
- Bill O’Reilly, Chris Matthews inducted into Irish America Hall of Fame
- Military given ‘execute order’ by Obama for secret cyber mission in June
- College group’s diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Cops: 2 shoot up heroin as kids play at McDonald’s
Metro train derails in P.G. County
A Metro train derailed at the West Hyattsville Station and passengers had to be evacuated during Friday afternoon’s rush hour.
The derailment was reported on the Green Line around 4:45 p.m. Metro officials said. The last three cars of the train derailed as the train was going through an underground tunnel, according to Prince George’s County fire department spokesman Mark Brady.
Approximately 55 passengers had to be evacuated from the train. No injuries were immediately reported.
It was not immediately clear what caused the derailment or if the region’s ongoing heatwave played a part, Metro spokesman Philip Stewart said.
Intense heat can cause rails to buckle, leading to derailments.
As a precaution that high temperatures may have played a part in this derailment, trains traveling above ground were slowed to 35 miles per, Mr. Stewart said.
As officials continued to clear the scene, Metro suspended train transit between the Fort Totten and Prince George’s Plaza stations and was operating shuttle buses in its place.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Andrea Noble is a crime and public safety reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Independent Catania files paperwork for D.C. mayoral bid
- Gray comes out fighting accusations in fund scheme
- Gray holds cash advantage in D.C. mayor's race
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Prosecutors: Gray had firsthand knowledge of 'shadow campaign'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- GOP bill tries to pull courts into fight with Obama on executive power, enforcing laws
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Details on ships, planes searching for missing jet
- Cops: 2 shoot up heroin as kids play at McDonald's
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again