- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
- Google’s newest photography find: Just wink and shoot
- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
- Ronnie Biggs of ‘Great Train Robbery’ fame dies, 84
- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
American Scene: France honors WWII vets at military academy
The Elko Daily Free Press reports Kody Cree Patten, 19, said he understood the plea bargain he was making at the Wednesday morning court hearing in Elko, but he didn’t discuss details about the killing of Micaela “Mickey” Costanzo, 16. He’d previously pleaded not guilty and was set for a July trial.
“It was the sensible thing to do,” lawyer John Ohlson said about the agreement reached last week, adding that if some of the details about the killing came out at trial, “it would be difficult to avoid the death penalty.”
At his sentencing, set for July 31, he could receive life in prison with parole, life in prison without parole, or 50 years in prison with the possibility of parole. He could be given an additional 1 to 20 years on his sentence for the use of a deadly weapon.
Patten and Toni Fratto, his girlfriend at the time, were accused in the death of Costanzo, who was taken to a remote area near the Utah-Nevada border after track practice at West Wendover High School on March 3, 2011.
Authorities said Costanzo was struck in the head with a shovel and her throat was slit before she was buried in a shallow grave.
Panel OKs Pebble Beach area development
SAN FRANCISCO — After decades of environmental fights, California’s chief coastal regulator approved a scaled-back development plan by a Clint Eastwood-backed group on a swath of prime real estate covered by rare Monterey pines.
The California Coastal Commission made the decision Wednesday involving the proposal by Pebble Beach Co. to build 90 homes in Monterey County’s Del Monte Forest.
The proposal also called for preserving 635 acres of native forest and improving public access to the breathtaking site.
The project is vastly smaller than one Mr. Eastwood and his partners golf legend Arnold Palmer and former baseball commissioner Peter Ueberroth initially put forward.
That plan included an 18-hole golf course, revamped polo fields and 100 new mansions near the famed Pebble Beach Golf Links.
The commission voted that down in 2007, leading to the much smaller plan.
• From wire dispatches and staff reports
By John R. Bolton
The president fiddles at his domestic altar while the world burns
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Top Democrats reject court ruling over NSA spying on Americans
- IRS pays tax cheats hundreds of millions of dollars
- HURT: D.C. gets the vapors, calls sequester too much
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- EDITORIAL: Al Gore, soothsayer
- Obama mocks Putin, picks gay athletes for Sochi delegation
- We told you so: Conservatives foresaw polygamy ruling
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- Rush weighs in: Maybe Republicans dont dislike Obamacare
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Southern Fried Politics from the Lens of a Persian-American Millennial
Wall Street news for retail investors who want to know what's going on.
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow