Cold weather sparks series of holiday fires

Reports of a small fire caused by smoldering material in a Fairmont Heights attic was also reported Sunday, but nobody was injured.

Though no fire was reported, several people in an Upper Marlboro home were taken to the hospital at 11 a.m. Sunday after they were sickened by a gas leak from a malfunctioning heating system at their home.

Sunday was not the only busy day for Prince George’s County firefighters. On Saturday, firefighters were called to a home in Seat Pleasant for a chimney fire, while Wednesday a two-story home in Laurel was burned when the tank for a propane-fueled smoker caught fire as the home’s residents cooked a turkey for Thanksgiving.

Prince George’s County was not the only area to report several house fires over the weekend. In Missouri, a Thanksgiving fire in an apartment killed five people, including one child. A house in Illinois was destroyed by a fire Wednesday, but the family living there managed to escape uninjured.

In the state of Washington, more than two dozen people living in an apartment building were forced to evacuate their homes Thursday because of a three-alarm fire.

© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks