- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Browns hire Rob Chudzinski as new coach
Question of the Day
Taking over the Browns offense in 2007, Chudzinski helped the Browns win 10 games _ the most since their expansion rebirth in 1999 _ and had four players make the Pro Bowl.
However, in 2008, the Browns struggled on offense and a six-game losing streak led to a 4-12 finish and Crennel’s firing. The Browns finished 31st in offense that year.
Chudzinski went back to the Chargers for two more seasons before he was hired in Carolina.
On Thursday, former Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt was brought to Cleveland for a second interview and he appeared to be the frontrunner. The Browns were also expected to meet again with Cincinnati defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and interview Indianapolis offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.
But in the end, the Browns decided to go with Chudzinski, who has no head coaching experience but is regarded as one of the league’s brightest up-and-coming coaches.
The hiring won’t cause Cleveland fans to dance in the streets, but it is in keeping with Banner’s past of hiring a coach without a meaty resume.
When he was in Philadelphia’s front office, Banner went outside the box and hired relatively unknown Andy Reid, who spent 14 seasons with the Eagles before he was fired after this season.
The Browns can only hope it goes as well with Chudzinski.
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Inside the Beltway: Republican posse rides out to fire Harry Reid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq