- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
- Ronnie Biggs of ‘Great Train Robbery’ fame dies, 84
- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
- Rep. Steve Stockman: Give my campaign $10, and you’ll get an Obama barf bag
- Putin: Russia to buy $15 billion in Ukraine bonds
- Expert: Obamacare ‘death spiral’ fears exaggerated
- Alabama firefighters dig for survivors of apartment blast
Obamacare foes claim 1 million signatures for defunding
The Senate Conservatives Fund and outspoken Republican lawmakers said Tuesday that more than one million people have signed an online petition that calls on Congress to refuse any funding for President Obama’s health care law.
The fund, which bills itself as a “grassroots organization” that promotes conservative policies and candidates, touted the tally on DontFundObamcare.com as a sign of widespread support for the push to take down the law as part of an upcoming spending debate on Capitol Hill this fall.
Sen. Ted Cruz, Texas Republican and a rising star among conservatives, has been a vocal supporter of the strategy in town hall meetings and television appearances during the late-summer recess. He has called on Americans to offer up a “grassroots tsunami” of support for the plan.
But congressional GOP leadership and senior Republicans have not signed onto the tactic, citing the potential for public backlash if their stand against the Affordable Care Act holds up a short-term spending resolution and shuts down the federal government.
Video for the new ad can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1nv4dm97iE.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Tom Howell Jr. covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- 5 million fall into Obamacare coverage gap
- Microsoft's Kurt DelBene to oversee Obamacare repairs, replacing Jeffrey Zients
- Rep. Steve Stockman: Give my campaign $10, and you'll get an Obama barf bag
- Expert: Obamacare 'death spiral' fears exaggerated
- Administration cites Obamacare boost for seniors
Latest Blog Entries
- NRA endorses Sen. John Cornyn for 2014, a blow to his outspoken GOP challenger
- Iowa survey: N.J. Gov. Chris Christie holds sway in general contest against Hillary Clinton
- Obama's approval rating continues to suffer at the close of his fifth year: poll
- Sen. Mark Warner: Budget deal a good step, lets Congress turn to real reforms
- Antibacterial soap may do more harm than good
By John R. Bolton
The president fiddles at his domestic altar while the world burns
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- PRUDEN: The scam that will not die
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Top Democrats reject court ruling over NSA spying on Americans
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- White House is obstructing probe on Navy Yard shooter, NSA leaker, Darrell Issa says
- We told you so: Conservatives foresaw polygamy ruling
- Colorado revolt: 55 of 62 sheriffs refuse to enforce new gun laws
- Senators in rush to pass budget vow to undo cut to military retirement pay
- Embassy Row: India strikes back over diplomat's arrest
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
Television commentary, reviews, news and nonstop DVR catch-up by Lisa King Dolloff and friends.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow