- Half of Americans worried about second Cold War: poll
- Kermit Gosnell clinic aide who heard aborted baby scream gets 5 to 10 years in prison
- Iraq mulls law to let men marry 8-year-old girls
- Russia sends bombers on 24-hour Arctic patrol
- Sam Adams beer brewer nixes St. Patrick’s parade that won’t allow gays
- Houston dad kills boy, 17, in daughter’s room in mistaken ID tragedy
- Rep. David Jolly ready to work with Democrats on compromise
- Joe Biden: I can’t be president — my golf would suffer
- German authorities grab suspected hardline Islamist
- Rare lesbian HIV transmission case turns up in Texas
1M kids stop school lunch due to Michelle Obama’s food standards
“Some of the stuff we had to offer, they wouldn’t eat,” Superintendent Gary Lewis in Catlin, Ill., told The Associated Press last year. “So you sit there and watch the kids, and you know they’re hungry at the end of the day, and that led to some behavior and some lack of attentiveness.”
Investigators said schools reported a number of problems implementing the standards. Some districts said switching from canned to fresh produce meant they had to have more frequent shipments — and that meant an increased likelihood of workplace injuries because of extra unloading and lifting.
“Staff in one [school food authority] noted that the increased amount of time and effort to prepare fruits and vegetables also led to morale issues when staff saw students throw the fruits and vegetables in the trash,” the investigators said.
Some schools also said they had to buy spoons and ladles to adjust to the new portion sizes.
The GAO said the eight districts it visited were Caddo Parish Public Schools in Louisiana, Carlisle Area School District in Pennsylvania, Chicago Public Schools, Coeur d’Alene School District in Idaho, Irving Independent School District in Texas, Mukwonago Area School District in Wisconsin, Spokane Public Schools in Washington, and Fairfax County Public Schools in Virginia.
The report didn’t specify which district added pudding and potato chips to its menu to meet calorie guidelines.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Stephen Dinan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Senators deluged by complaints void 2-year-old flood insurance plan before 10-day break
- Obama calls for 'more humane' deportation policy
- Senators reach deal on unemployment benefits
- Boehner invites Pope Francis to address Congress
- Harry Reid: 'I'm not afraid of the Koch brothers'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Sam Adams beer brewer nixes St. Patrick's parade that won't allow gays
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- EDITORIAL: Lois Lerner's dilemma
- BRUCE: The power of bossy
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014