- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s same-sex marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
- Calif. protesters to block Israel-owned ships at Port of Oakland
- Obama to give Africa $38M, but tells young leaders: Stop ‘making excuses’ for economy
$2.4 million spent for Joe Biden’s World Cup trip
Question of the Day
New reports indicate that Vice President Joseph R. Biden and his entourage enjoyed a luxurious hotel stay during the World Cup Tournament, totaling over $2.4 million.
Mr. Biden and his entourage visited Brazil in June to attend the World Cup game between the U.S. and Ghana, and to meet with the president and vice president of Brazil.
The cost for the hotel space alone for Mr. Biden and his entire entourage for one night was estimated at $2,245,343.30 the Weekly Standard reported Thursday.
The main entourage stayed in the Royal Tulip Hotel, located next to the Brazilian president’s house, while the rest of the group was spread across three other luxurious hotels ranging from roughly $28,000 to $180,000 a night.
However, reports claim that Mr. Biden did more than just vacation in Brazil. His trip may have been an attempt to repair damage caused by the National Security Agency spying practices involving the Brazilian president.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Kellan Howell, an investigative reporter for The Washington Times, covers campaign finance and government accountability. Originally from Williamsburg, Va., Kellan graduated from James Madison University where she received bachelor’s degrees in media arts and design and international affairs with a concentration in western European politics.
During her time at JMU, she interned for British technology and business news website “ITPro” ...
- DCCC raising money on suggestion Obama impeachment is imminent
- Joan Rivers: CNN should be 'ashamed' of its Israel, Gaza reporting
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- Golden Hammer: U.S. squandered $34 million on failed Afghanistan soybean project
- EPA chief McCarthy, critics spar at Senate hearing over new rules
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq