- Catholic League slams Obama: ‘Do Christian lives mean so little to you?’
- National laboratory cancels ‘Southern Accent Reduction’ classes after outcry
- U.S. woman with Ebola is stable, improving, son says
- Belgium pushes for clear labeling of goods from Israeli settlements
- ‘Queen of Mean’ Leona Helmsley’s former home hits market for $65M
- Florida beach-goers told to beware flesh-eating bacteria in water
- Lundergan Grimes uses ‘war on women’ strategy to attack McConnell
- Rep. Jeff Miller: ‘Ain’t no leash for VA’
- Al Qaeda nets $125M from ransom payoffs from Europe since 2008
- Ohio Gov. John Kasich cruising to re-election: survey
Topic - Daniel K. Akaka
The late Sen. Daniel K. Inouye was remembered Sunday as an American hero whose legacy as a war veteran and senator would be felt across Hawaii for years to come.
Former President George H.W. Bush has been hospitalized in Houston for treatment of a lingering cough.
The District's nonvoting member of Congress is hoping to divorce the city from aspects of a law that limits federal employees' political activities as the city gains traction in efforts to increase the distance between local affairs and controlling hands on Capitol Hill.
Former Rep. Ed Case of Hawaii is the first official candidate in what is expected to be a flood of candidates for the 2012 election to succeed retiring Sen. Daniel K. Akaka.
Hawaii Sen. Daniel K. Akaka said Wednesday he won't seek re-election next year, the fifth member of the Senate Democratic Caucus to decide not to face the voters in 2012.
Hawaii Sen. Daniel K. Akaka, 86, said Wednesday he won't seek re-election next year, the fifth member of the Senate Democratic Caucus to decide not to face the voters in 2012.
Dear Sgt. Shaft: My husband is on the Agent Orange list, but cannot receive any benefits because his ship isn't on the list. Is there anything we can do?
"The World War II GI Bill changed my life, and my generation," said Akaka, one of three current senators who attended college on the original GI Bill. "Hundreds of thousands of troops and veterans are already using the new GI Bill to pursue their education. Now that we have seen the benefit in action, this new legislation can improve the existing framework. I look forward to working through a comprehensive legislative process to pass a good improvement bill," said
"Like the Liberty Bell and the Star-Spangled Banner, the monument at the Tomb of the Unknowns is a national treasure that has been weathered by time," Mr. Akaka said yesterday. "We must ensure that we first explore all options and move with great caution."