- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
- San Diego Costco, Target shoppers shocked by plane crash in parking lot
- George W. Bush penning biography of father
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels
- Spain evacuates staff from embassy in Libya
- Peace Corps evacuates over Ebola fears; 2 volunteers isolated
- House overwhelmingly approves $16 billion cash infusion for VA overhaul
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
Topic - Diane Katz
Congress' mammoth farm bill restores the imposition of an extra fee on home heating oil, hitting consumers in cold-weather states just as utility costs are spiking.
Every American knows about the income tax, but how many are aware of the regulatory tax?
Nothing in life is certain but death and taxes, the saying goes. Unfortunately, the list doesn't stop there. We can add one other inescapable component: regulations.
"Thus, Americans are taking a double hit on dairy," says regulations expert Diane Katz. "Tax revenues are used to subsidize producers, and production limits raise the cost of products."
"In many cases," writes Ms. Katz, "efficiency standards increase the price of appliances by more than consumers will recoup from the energy savings."