It was about this time last year we learned Maryland would be heading to the 2009 Maui Invitational.
(Please note this said Maryland and not “Maryland beat writers.” I don’t even need to ask to know I won’t be heading to Hawaii right around Thanksgiving next year thanks to the pricey nature of, you know, flying to Hawaii.)
Today brings some more Maui-related news to the area —- Virginia is part of the 2010 field.
The Cavaliers will play in the event for the first time since 2002, along with host (and Ralph Sampson-era nemesis) Chaminade.
They’ll be joined by these six teams:
* Connecticut: (also played in Maui in 2000 and 2005)
* Kentucky: (also played in Maui in 1993, 1997, 2002 and 2006)
* Michigan State: (also played in Maui in 1991, 1995 and 2005)
* Oklahoma: (also played in Maui in 1988, 1992 and 2006)
* Washington: First Maui appearance
* Wichita State: First Maui appearance
—- Patrick Stevens