A quick rewind of today’s early action:
* Minnesota is in. No need to for the Gophers to fret; beating Northwestern should remove any remaining doubt about this bunch. At the end of the day, that neutral court defeat of Louisville will carry a lot of weight.
* Northwestern is off the at-large board. It’s off the NIT for the Purple Gang, who had a decent season all things considered.
* Virginia Tech helped itself a lot. The Hokies are a win away from a really nice spot. Remember, these guys won at Clemson, Wake Forest and Miami, and now nabbed Miami on a neutral floor.
* Miami is done. The Hurricanes will still occupy a spot on the at-large board, but their NCAA chances are kaput.
* Baylor is back in the discussion. The Bears probably need to win the Big 12 tournament. But they at least warrant a mention after shocking Kansas in the conference quarterfinals.
* Providence will host an NIT game. Nice try, Friars. Thanks for playing. Next time, beat someone better than Cincinnati away from the Dunkin’ Donuts Center. Providence wouldn’t make it in ahead of Maryland if the Terps defeat N.C. State tonight.
* Xavier is doing its part to save a spot in the field for everyone else. The Musketeers demolished Saint Louis, keeping alive hope the A-10 won’t go beyond two berths.
—- Patrick Stevens