Saint Mary’s sure looks like it should be in the NCAA tournament.
Patrick Mills is healthy. And while he was rusty last night, the Gaels have a pretty good case to be in the 65-team field.
Well, other than really good victories.
They’ve beaten San Diego State and Utah State, which is nice but not overwhelming. A win tonight on a neutral floor against Gonzaga, obviously, will take care of matters entirely.
If not, staying close is important. Saint Mary’s, like everyone else, is in the business of not providing excuses for exclusion. Looking bad on national TV or losing Friday’s just-thrown-together game against Eastern Washington would qualify as a reason to be left out.
But for now, they’re in this projection. As for everyone else, read on. …
(1) Pittsburgh vs. (16) SWAC/Alabama State-BIG WEST/Cal State Northridge
(8) Ohio State vs. (9) Tennessee
(4) Clemson vs. (13) SUN BELT/Western Kentucky
(5) UCLA vs. (12) MISSOURI VALLEY/Northern Iowa
Kansas City, Mo.
(3) BIG 12/Kansas vs. (14) SUMMIT/North Dakota State
(6) Purdue vs. (11) Arizona
(2) Wake Forest vs. (15) ATLANTIC SUN/East Tennessee State
(7) MOUNTAIN WEST/Utah vs. (10) MAAC/Siena
(1) ACC/North Carolina vs. (16) BIG SOUTH/Radford
(8) Oklahoma State vs. (9) Wisconsin
(4) ATLANTIC 10/Xavier vs. (13) SOUTHLAND/Stephen F. Austin
(5) Syracuse vs. (12) CAA/Virginia Commonwealth
(3) Villanova vs. (14) AMERICA EAST/Binghamton
(6) Texas A&M vs. (11) Saint Mary’s
(2) BIG TEN/Michigan State vs. (15) NEC/Robert Morris
(7) California vs. (10) WAC/Utah State
(1) Connecticut vs. (16) MEAC/Morgan State
(8) Brigham Young vs. (9) Dayton
(4) Missouri vs. (13) Miami
(5) WCC/Gonzaga vs. (12) Penn State
(3) Duke vs. (14) SOUTHERN/Charleston
(6) Arizona State vs. (11) Florida
(2) CONFERENCE USA/Memphis vs. (15) MAC/Buffalo
(7) West Virginia vs. (10) Minnesota
(1) BIG EAST/Louisville vs. (16) OHIO VALLEY/Morehead State
(8) Texas vs. (9) SEC/Louisiana State
(4) Florida State vs. (13) PATRIOT/American
(5) Illinois vs. (12) UNLV
(3) PAC-10/Washington vs. (14) BIG SKY/Weber State
(6) HORIZON/Butler vs. (11) MIchigan
Kansas City, Mo.
(2) Oklahoma vs. (15) IVY/Cornell
(7) Marquette vs. (10) Boston College
Last four in: Miami, UNLV, Penn State, Florida
Last four out: Maryland, New Mexico, South Carolina, Providence
Next four out: Southern California, Virginia Tech, Creighton, Auburn
Multi-bid leagues: Big Ten (8), ACC (7), Big East (7), Big 12 (6), Pac-10 (5), SEC (3), Mountain West (3), A-10 (2), WCC (2)
Moving in: Binghamton, College of Charleston, East Tennessee State, Miami, Morehead State, Northern Iowa, Saint Mary’s
Moving out: Creighton, Davidson, Jacksonville, Maryland, UT Martin, Vermont, Virginia Tech
—- Patrick Stevens