Scoring the pregame picks from Navy’s loss to Southern Mississippi …
1. Kriss Proctor will be Navy’s leading rusher.
CORRECT. The Midshipmen’s quarterback rolled up 123 yards on 17 carries to pace his team. Backup fullback Delvin Diggs was capable in place of the disciplined Alexander Teich, amassing 93 yards on 17 carries.
2. Navy’s slotbacks will get more work.
CORRECT. The slotbacks accounted for a season-high 20 carries, with John Howell (seven), Mike Stukel (six), Gee Gee Greene (four) and Bo Snelson (three) all receiving work. Darius Staten missed the game.
3. Southern Mississippi defensive ends Jamie Collins and Cordarro Law will combined for at least four tackles for loss.
INCORRECT. Law had one tackle for loss and Collins didn’t have any for the Golden Eagles. Collins did have 11 tackles, tied for most on the roster.
4. There will be a defensive or special teams touchdown.
CORRECT. It took less than six minutes to be right, too. Southern Mississippi’s Marquese Wheaton returned a blocked field goal 79 yards for a touchdown to open the scoring.
5. Southern Mississippi will win by less than a possession.
INCORRECT. Shouldn’t have put those last five words in there. Picking the Golden Eagles was smart, but it’s unlikely anyone saw a 63-35 shellacking on the horizon for the Mids.
Record vs. Southern Mississippi: 3-for-5
Season record: 17-for-25
—- Patrick Stevens