The atmosphere for a potentially meaningless game … in December … with a late kickoff … and the wind blowing … four days from Christmas … hours before Hanukkah … and the home team on a three-game losing streak. .. it was very preseason-like. The Redskins started their home finale against Philadelphia with no, zip, zero home field advantage.
Unfortunately, Sir Scribble and Co. weren’t in New England yesterday for the Cardinals-Patriots Snow Bowl. What a great scene. But as usual, the No Fun League showed its ugly self again when Wes Welker was penalized after a touchdown for performing a snow angel.
• At 2:27 p.m., Scrib spotted his fan of the day in the lower bowl. The guy was wearing a No. 33 Baugh sweatshirt. Two minutes later, Scrib nearly fainted when he spotted — ready for this? — a No. 11 Devin Thomas jersey. Hopefully it was family.
• Twenty five minutes before kickoff, the stadium was perhaps 25 percent full. And the number of Eagles fans was low compared to previous years. The jersey rundown: Randall Cunningham, Wes Hopkins, Reggie White, Donovan McNabb, Brian Westbrook, Correll Buckhalter, Asante Samuel, Rodney Peete, Jevon Kearse and Brian Dawkins.
• And for the final time this season, the ex-Redskins jersey roll call: Darrell Green, LaVar Arrington, John Riggins, Art Monk, Jeremiah Trotter, Bruce Smith and Sean Taylor.
• Before 4 p.m., it became official – San Diego 41, Tampa Bay 24 – giving Philadelphia and the Redskins a little hope. Of all people helping The Danny, it’s old friend Norv Turner.
• Already the worst stadium in the NFL in terms of video boards and game presentation (only slightly better than a high school game), the scoreboard during the opening drive showed no mention of the down and distance.
- Ryan O’Halloran