The House GOP transparency initiative launched recently and is composed of the following five House Resolutions.:
- READ THE BILL:(H. Res. 554 Rep. John Culberson, R-TX & Brian Baird, D - WA; Discharge Petition ) Puts all bills online fro at least 72 hours before they come to a vote.
- BAN “PHANTOM AMENDMENTS”: (H. Res 835, Rep. Lynn Jenkins, R-KS) Require committees to post bill text online within 24 hours of adoption.
- SHOW THE VOTES: (H. Res 874, Rep. Dave Reichert, R - WA) Post members’ committee votes online within 48 hours.
- OPEN HEALTH CARE NEGOTIATIONS TO THE PUBLIC: (H. Res 847, Rep. Vern Buchanan, R-FL) Prevent secret deals behind closed doors and ensure a full and open debate.
- BRING SUNLIGHT TO THE RULES COMMITTEE: (H. Res 869, Rep. Charlie Dent, R - PA) Allow cameras in the secretive Rules Committee, which decides which bills come to a vote.
Rep. Dent told the Washington Times Water Cooler about the legislation he is putting forth.:
“The public is demanding more transparency, at least with respect the initiative I’ve launched, which is to provide for cameras in the Rules committee. I think it’s a really easy request. There are only two other committees that have no cameras in them now. That would be the Intelligence Committee and the Ethics Committee.”
House Minority Leader John Boehner talks about the initiative in the video below.