- The Washington Times - Wednesday, June 27, 2007

RICHFIELD, Minn. — Charles W. Lindberg, one of the Marines who raised the first American flag over Iwo Jima during World War II, died June 24 at Fairview Southdale Hospital in the Minneapolis suburb of Edina. He was 86.

Mr. Lindberg spent decades explaining that it was his patrol, not the one captured in the famous Associated Press photograph by Joe Rosenthal, that raised the first flag as U.S. forces fought to take the Japanese island.

In the late morning of Feb. 23, 1945, Mr. Lindberg fired his flame-thrower into enemy pillboxes at the base of Mount Suribachi and then joined five other Marines fighting their way to the top. He was awarded the Silver Star for bravery.

“Two of our men found this big, long pipe there,” he said in an interview with the Associated Press in 2003. “We tied the flag to it, took it to the highest spot we could find and we raised it.

“Down below, the troops started to cheer, the ship’s whistles went off, it was just something that you would never forget,” he said. “It didn’t last too long, because the enemy started coming out of the caves.”

The moment was captured by Sgt. Lou Lowery, a photographer from the Marine Corps’ Leatherneck magazine. It was the first time a foreign flag flew on Japanese soil, according to the book “Flags of Our Fathers,” by James Bradley with Ron Powers. Mr. Bradley’s father, Navy corpsman John Bradley, was one of the men in the famous photo of the second flag-raising.

“We thought it would be a slaughterhouse up on Suribachi,” Mr. Lindberg said in the book. “I still don’t understand why we were not attacked.”

Three of the men in the first raising never saw their photos. They were among the more than 6,800 U.S. servicemen killed in the five-week battle for the island.

By Mr. Lindberg’s account, his commander ordered the first flag replaced and safeguarded because he worried someone would take it as a souvenir. Mr. Lindberg was back in combat when six men raised the second, larger flag about four hours later.

Mr. Rosenthal’s photo of the second flag-raising became one of the most enduring images of the war and the model for the U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial in Arlington.

Mr. Rosenthal, who died last year, always denied accusations that he staged the photo, and he never said it depicted the first raising of a flag over the island.

Mr. Lindberg was shot through the arm on March 1 and evacuated.

After his discharge in January 1946, Mr. Lindberg — no relation to aviator Charles Lindbergh — went home to Grand Forks, N.D. He moved to Richfield in 1951 and became an electrician.

No one, he said, believed him when he said he raised the first flag at Iwo Jima. “I was called a liar,” he said. In 1954, he was invited to Washington for the dedication of the Marine memorial. It carried the names of the second group of flag-raisers, but not the first.

He spent his final years trying to raise awareness of the first flag-raising, speaking to veterans groups and at schools. He sold autographed copies of Sgt. Lowery’s photos through catalogs.

A back room in his neat house was filled with souvenirs of the battle, including a mural based on one of Sgt. Lowery’s photos. Prints of the photos were kept handy for visitors, and Mr. Lindberg’s Silver Star and Purple Heart were in little boxes on a side table.

The Minnesota Legislature passed a resolution in Mr. Lindberg’s honor in 1995. His face appears on a huge mural in Long Prairie of the battle for Iwo Jima, and his likeness is etched into the black granite walls of Soldiers Field in Rochester.



Click to Read More

Click to Hide