- Associated Press - Thursday, May 22, 2014

ROANOKE, Va. (AP) - Roanoke authorities say a fire at an apartment complex and assisted living facility has been ruled accidental.

Roanoke Fire-EMS Chief David Hoback tells media outlets that four people suffered minor injuries and were treated at the scene of Wednesday’s fire at Stratford Village. A firefighter and a paramedic also gave oxygen to one cat after it was rescued.

The city fire marshal’s office determined that improperly discarded smoking materials caused the fire.

The fire displaced 47 people. A temporary shelter was set up at the Roanoke Civic Center. A community animal response team is helping residents who have pets.

Hoback says the fire started in a third-floor apartment. Some residents who use wheelchairs or walkers were carried out of the building.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide