- Associated Press - Friday, May 23, 2014

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) - Oily rags that spontaneously ignited were the cause of the fire that damaged a landmark Iowa City restaurant.

The Iowa City Fire Department announced Thursday that Sunday’s fire at Hamburg Inn No. 2 was accidental. The restaurant is a popular stop for politicians running for president and residents seeking comfort food.

The department says the fire started on a wall shelving unit located next to a clothes dryer in the basement of the building. Oily rags that had recently been laundered continued releasing heat until they started a fire, which spread up the wall and ignited other materials.

The department says that a copper water line slowed the growth of the fire, which caused an estimated $30,000 in damage. The restaurant is expected to be closed a few weeks.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide