- Associated Press - Sunday, April 15, 2018

CLAYMONT, Del. (AP) - Investigators say a blaze at a northern Delaware apartment complex that forced 18 people from their homes was caused by use of an outdoor grill.

The fire was reported shortly after 7 a.m. Sunday at the Stoneybrook Apartment complex in Claymont, where firefighters battled flames on a two-story row of townhouses. Damage was estimated at about $250,000.

Officials say the fire broke out when charcoal briquettes used in a grill ignited vinyl siding on the rear of a townhouse.

The American Red Cross and apartment management were providing assistance to eight adults and 10 children who were displaced.

There were no reported injuries.



Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide