- The Washington Times - Updated: 8:56 a.m. on Wednesday, August 19, 2026

NATO said Wednesday it is prepared to defend all of its members against attacks by Iran after reports suggested Tehran was considering striking U.S. military targets in Europe.

An alliance official affirmed that NATO’s “deterrence and defense posture is strong and effective,” adding that the U.S.-Iran war has demonstrated its effectiveness.

“As demonstrated earlier this year when NATO air defenses successfully intercepted ballistic missiles heading to Turkey from Iran on four separate occasions, our deterrence and defense posture is strong and effective,” the official said in a statement.



The comment follows a report from the Financial Times this week saying that Iran was considering attacks on U.S. military installations in Europe if President Trump decides to escalate the conflict.

Citing two unnamed officials, the report indicated that Iran was looking at the Bezmer Air Base in Bulgaria, which has been used to refuel U.S. aircraft since last month, and military infrastructure in Cyprus.

Iran has shown a capacity and willingness to strike far outside its borders in its war with the U.S. and Israel.

A drone struck a British airbase on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus in March. The attack drew a firm rebuke from European countries such as the United Kingdom and France.

Iranian missiles have reportedly targeted U.S. military assets in Turkey, a NATO ally, at least four times since February. Alliance air defenses eliminated the threats each time, but NATO officials were quick to insist that the incidents did not trigger the charter’s mutual defense clause.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Iran’s attacks on U.S. military positions in the Middle East, and beyond, are aimed at convincing regional powers that Washington is unable to protect them when push comes to shove.

Esmail Baghaei, spokesperson for Iran’s Foreign Ministry, asserted on Wednesday that the U.S. military presence in the Middle East is a destabilizing force and once again called on Gulf nations to limit their interactions with “unreliable” partners.

Contact the author

Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Story Topics

Please read our comment policy before commenting.