The Washington Times - March 21, 2012, 03:16PM

Rep. Charles B. Rangel says he will seek a 22nd term despite being found guilty of several House ethics charges.

The Democrat, in a statement released Tuesday, said he will run in New York’s new 13th congressional district, reconfigured because of redistricting. He said he made his decision after consulting with country, community and political leaders.


“Over the years, I have been privileged to receive the broad-based support of so many friends and neighbors in our Manhattan congressional district,” said Mr. Rangel, 81. “I am proud of the resources that I have been able to bring to Harlem and our community. I hope to continue representing the people I have been honored to serve in Congress and earn the support of my new constituents in the newly drawn district.”

Mr. Rangel, a founder of the Congressional Black Caucus, touted his efforts for helping secure hundreds of millions of dollars for projects throughout Harlem and Manhattan.

“I have never lost my conviction to leaving this world a better place than when I entered it, both in life and in Congress,” he said. “While I am very proud of the many positive contributions I have made, there remains much work left for me to do.”

It’s uncertain if he would face any serious Democratic challengers, as the decimal redistricting process has put New York’s primary lineup in flux.

A bipartisan House ethics panel in late 2010 found Mr. Rangel guilty of 11 of 13 ethics-violation charges, including using congressional staff and stationery to solicit donations. He was censured by the House last year — the most serious congressional penalty short of expulsion.

The scandal forced him to step down as chairman of the powerful tax writing House Ways and Means Committee. He condemned the investigative subcommittee’s ruling, calling it unfair, unfortunate and unprecedented.