- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror plotter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
- Libyan prime minister ousted by parliament
- Men’s Wearhouse to buy Jos A Bank for $1.8B
- Boston bomb squad destroys unattended pressure cooker: report
Nets open camp as Howard buzz resonates
“Fortunately, he’s been through something like this before,” Johnson said. “It’s not the first time or the last time Brook has heard his name as part of a rumor. We’re all trying to get them through the distractions. In today’s world of social media, things are said, whether they are true or false. We just have to deal with them.
“No question, these are different circumstances that we have to deal with.”
Nets All-Star point guard Deron Williams, who has told management that he would need for the team to acquire another marquee player in order for him to re-sign with the team, is friendly with Howard, but did not want to comment about the rumored deal.
“I’m not going to address it,” Williams said. “It’s just a rumor. There’s nothing you can do about that. We can’t get caught up in all of that. I’m not paying much attention to it.”
“A lot of the guys are in good shape,” said Williams, who spent the lockout playing professionally in Turkey. “We got going pretty quickly. The pace was fast. We’re putting in a lot of new stuff, so we’re basically starting from scratch.”
“We had a lot of great energy today for a first practice,” he said. “The young guys were scratching and clawing out there. It was a really good first day.”
The Nets announced the signing of first-round draft pick MarShon Brooks and second-round selection Jordan Williams, and both practiced Friday. They also brought three players in from the team’s NBDL franchise in Springfield, Mass. _ JamesOn Curry, Dennis Horner and Jerry Smith _ to participate in training camp.
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- PRUDEN: Missing airliner, stolen passports fuel wild speculation
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Obamacare enrollment hits 4.2 million, but slowing
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again