- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
NBA finals: Mavericks beat Heat 112-103 in Game 5
A running 3-pointer at the buzzer of the first quarter gave the Heat a 31-30 lead after the opening period of Game 5 of the NBA finals. He hit another buzzerbeater to close the opening period in Game 3 as well. So with that, the defense-first NBA finals have been flipped upside down.
Neither team had a 30-point quarter in the first four games of these finals, so of course, both ended that streak at once.
Storm weathered, again.
Dallas 23, Miami 19, 2:58 left in the first quarter. Dwyane Wade has eight so far for the Heat, who looked like they were going down by nine when Shawn Marion appeared to have a clear path to the rim. LeBron James erased his shot, starting a break that Wade finished with a quick hoop.
Mavs shooting 60 percent, with six different players having at least one field goal in the first 9 minutes. Always a good sign for teams to get lots of guys involved early.
LeBronwatch update: He has two points, meaning he needs eight more to stretch his streak of consecutive double-figures games to … one. He does seem more aggressive, yes. It’s just not translating into what most people expected _ him taking a ton of early shots.
Anyway, both teams have settled in.
Early edge: Dallas.
In terms of aggression.
In terms of poise.
In, well, just about any term you want to use.
Dallas 13, Miami 6, 7:12 left in the 1st quarter. LeBron James is 1 for 3 from the floor, the make being a runout dunk. Jason Kidd looks 28 instead of 38, controlling the game so far with five points and two steals. Dirk Nowitzki is settling in nicely, having just made a jumper after misfiring on his first two tries.
By Emily Miller
Billionaire gets mobbed by fans at CPAC
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- 'Holy grail of guitars' among those in N.Y. auction
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again