- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Blazers, Nuggets deal on draft night
PORTLAND, ORE. (AP) - The Trail Blazers acquired guard Raymond Felton from the Denver Nuggets in exchange for veteran guard Andre Miller in a trade Thursday night that was part of a flurry of moves that Portland made during the NBA draft.
It was an active draft for the Blazers and Chad Buchanan, Portland’s acting general manager after the team dismissed Rich Cho last month.
Miller, 35, averaged 12.7 points, 7 assists and 3.7 rebounds last season.
He averaged 11.5 points, 3.6 points and 6.5 assists in 21 games with the Nuggets, but played behind Ty Lawson. Overall for the season he hit career highs with an average of 15.5 points and 8.3 assists.
“We feel like he’s a guy who has gotten better and better,” Buchanan said. “And we feel he’ll continue to get better with us.”
Fernandez, 26, has spent three seasons in Portland, averaging 9.1 points over 24.1 minutes in 218 games.
This past season, he averaged 8.6 points in the regular season but scored only 2.8 per game in a first-round series against the Mavericks. He made only 4 of 18 shots.
Hamilton, a 6-foot-7, 220-pound guard/forward, averaged 18.6 points and 7.7 rebounds over two seasons with the Texas Longhorns.
As part of the deal with Dallas, Portland also acquired the draft rights for 6-foot-6 Tanguy Ngombo, a Congolese forward who has played in Qatar since 2006.
By Tammy Bruce
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- EDITORIAL: Harry Reid's corrupt Senate house of cards
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again