- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- Ukraine will compete in Sochi Paralympics despite Crimea conflict
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
National League capsules
Rotation: RH Ian Kennedy (21-4, 2.88 ERA, 198 Ks), RH Daniel Hudson (16-12, 3.41), RH Trevor Cahill (12-14, 4.16 with Oakland), RH Josh Collmenter (10-10, 3.38), LH Joe Saunders (12-13, 3.69).
Key Relievers: RH J.J. Putz (2-2, 2.17, 45 saves in 49 chances), RH David Hernandez (5-3, 3.38, 11/14), RH Bryan Shaw (1-0, 2.54), RH Brad Zeigler (0-0, 1.74 in 23 games for Arizona; 3-2, 2.39 in 43 games for Oakland), LH Craig Breslow (0-2, 3.79 for Oakland), LH Joe Paterson (0-3, 2.91), RH Takashi Saito (4-2, 2.03 for Milwaukee).
San Francisco Giants
2011: 86-76, 2nd place.
Manager: Bruce Bochy (6th season).
He’s Here: OF Melky Cabrera, OF Angel Pagan, INF Ryan Theriot, RHP Clay Hensley.
He’s Outta There: RF Carlos Beltran, CF Andres Torres, RHP Ramon Ramirez, OF Cody Ross, OF Pat Burrell, SS Orlando Cabrera, INF Mark DeRosa, LHP Jonathan Sanchez.
Projected Lineup: CF Angel Pagan (.262, 7, 56, 32 SB with New York Mets), 2B Freddy Sanchez (.289, 3, 24 in 60 games), 3B Pablo Sandoval (.315, 23, 70), C Buster Posey (.284, 4, 21 in 45 games), LF Melky Cabrera (.305, 18, 87, 44 2Bs, 20 SB with Kansas City), 1B Aubrey Huff (.246, 12, 59), RF Nate Schierholtz (.278, 9, 41), SS Brandon Crawford (.204, 3, 21).
Rotation: RH Tim Lincecum (13-14, 2.74, 220 Ks), LH Madison Bumgarner (13-13, 3.21), RH Matt Cain (12-11, 2.88), LH Barry Zito (3-4, 5.87), RH Ryan Vogelsong (13-7, 2.71).
Key Relievers: RH Brian Wilson (6-4, 3.11, 36/41), LH Javier Lopez (5-2, 2.72), RH Sergio Romo (3-1, 1.50, 14 K/BB), LH Jeremy Affeldt (3-2, 2.63).
Los Angeles Dodgers
2011: 82-79, 3rd place.
Manager: Don Mattingly (2nd season).
He’s Here: 2B Mark Ellis, LF Juan Rivera, 2B Adam Kennedy, LHP Chris Capuano, INF-OF Jerry Hairston Jr., RHP Aaron Harang, RHP Mike MacDougal, C Matt Treanor, RHP Todd Coffey.
He’s Outta There: RHP Hiroki Kuroda, RHP Jonathan Broxton, RHP Vicente Padilla, 3B Casey Blake, SS Jamey Carroll, C Rod Barajas, LHP Hong-Chih Kuo, LHP Dana Eveland.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Tammy Bruce
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- CPAC 2014: Huckabee says government impeding religious liberty
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again