- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
New Year’s goodbyes: 40- and 60-watt bulbs to disappear from shelves
Stock up now because come Jan. 1, the popular 40- and 60-watt incandescent light bulbs no longer will be welcome on U.S. store shelves.
That’s when the sales ban takes effect and American consumers will be forced — thanks to Congress and its failure to push back the environmental lobby — to purchase the likes of halogen bulbs, compact fluorescents, LED lights and high-efficiency incandescents. The options are comparatively more expensive, industry officials say, as The Daily Mail reported.
“Get them while you still can,” Home Depot said on its website. “Stock up on incandescent light bulbs before they are completely discontinued.”
Supporters of the bulb ban have argued that the 40- and 60-watt light bulbs are inefficient and cite Environmental Protection Agency studies as proof. But opponents, including tea party types, say that if the 40- and 60-watt options were so great, consumers would buy them without regulation.
“Home Depot anticipates running out of their stock of 40W to 60W bulbs six months into 2014,” said the store’s national light bulb merchant, Mark Voykovic, to Fox News.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Yelp.com's ethics questioned
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.