Should have gotten to this yesterday, but ran out of time.
* “The thing I don’t think people understand and I truly mean, and that’s from day one I’ve prepared and gone about it as if this would come through. Now I just have to go out. The thing that’s so nice for me personally, and everybody is different, I’m just progressing each year and each year, and now I’m ready to take the next step.”
* “I wasn’t surprised, but you never really know. All I can do is worry about what I can control and that was going out and practicing hard every day and continuing to do the same thing.”
* On the support of teammates: “It’s important, it really is. I think they realize how genuine I am and the fact that all I want to do is win. I heard Brett Favre the other night say ‘I’m not going to promise anything, but all I can promise is that I’m going to go out and give it everything I’ve got.’”
* “I think any tough time is going to make you a better player or person or whatever the case may be. Just in talking to some other people who are in similar situations, the quarterback position is often magnified or whatever it may be. There’s a lot of positions where these sort of situations are going on. Me being religious, and a lot of guys on this team being religious, you have to believe God has a plan for you. That’s what faith is, when things don’t necessarily seem like they’re going to work out in your favor, [it’s] having faith and believing that they will. I think this is a perfect example of that.”
* “Coach [James] Franklin said this morning the competition is over and we’re moving forward. He read off some statistics from all the scrimmages and games and all that stuff. That’s what he said we’re going with. I’m going to go out and play loose. I realize this is something I’ve sort of gotten myself into. I realize the things that come with it. I’ve been in this situation so many times
“Last year with Josh [Portis] and everybody was saying he was going to [play]. All I can control what I can do and how hard I practice. At the end of the day, we’ll see what happens. But I’m not going out there playing worried or looking over my shoulder.”
* “It was a step. The year before I played one game and didn’t play again, and then I played. Now, I’ll play the whole season.”